Plantar fasciitis is a painful condition that makes it difficult for many people to enjoy their day-to-day lives. It attacks the heel, compromises foot strength, support, and balance. Treatments for this condition can be expensive, but are often necessary for a full recovery.
However, while you wait for your treatment it is important to manage your pain. The following stretching exercise will help relieve plantar fascia pain and make it easier for you to live your life. While it won't cure the problem, it can help treat its damaging symptoms.
Necessary Exercise Tools
The best part about this particular exercise is that it requires little to no monetary investment. While there are very effective plantar fasciitis treatments that cost hundreds of dollars, you can help relieve pain from the comfort of your own home using only the following items:
- A comfortable chair with a strong back
- A small water bottle, soda can, or foam roller
- A carpeted room with enough area to stretch out your foot
- A refrigerator with a freezer
- A towel
And that's it! Should also make sure to grab a pair of high-quality white cotton socks. These help not only support your ankle, heel, and foot during exercise, but they also increase your foot's grip and traction. Good traction is very important to the success of this particular exercise.
And so is a strong chair: while you won't be putting an excessive amount of strain on the chair with this exercise, a weak chair may break or bend during the exercise. And if that happens, you run the risk of further injuring your foot or other areas of your body.
Preparing For The Exercise
Before you begin this exercise, you need to perform a few simple steps of preparation. Don't worry: these steps are quite simple. However, they will help ensure that you get the best possible results. Prepare for your plantar fasciitis exercise by:
- Placing your water bottle, can, or foam roller in the freezer for 20 minutes
- Change into comfortable exercise clothes (t-shirt, sweat pants, white socks)
- Position your chair against the wall for support
- Remove your rolling item from the freezer and place it in a bowl
- Put the bowl next to your seat
You may be confused as to why you are placing your rolling tool in the freezer. The reason is simple: the coldness will help make the item easier to roll and alleviate pain during the exercise. This is also why the sock is necessary: it helps protect your skin from cold damage, such as frostbite.
Performing The Exercise
Now that you're ready to go, you can perform the following exercise routine once a day to alleviate or even prevent plantar fasciitis pain:
- Sit down in your chair with your back straight and your legs relaxed
- Pick up the iced item and place it under the foot affected by plantar fasciitis
- Carefully roll your foot over the can, focusing it especially on the area where you feel pain
- Switch feet after a minute to help keep the other foot from developing plantar fasciitis
- Place the can back in the bowl and cross your affected leg over the other
- Grab the big toe of the crossed leg and pull it toward you for 15-30 seconds
- Release your pull, wait five seconds, and then repeat 2-3 times
- Switch crossed legs and perform the exercise
- Fold the towel, wrap it around your affected foot, and pull your leg straight
- Pull the towel towards you to stretch your foot
- Hold for 30 seconds, release, and repeat
Plantar fasciitis pain doesn't have to derail your life: treating its symptoms with this exercise will help get you back on your feet and ready to live your life again.